Thursday, November 17, 2005

Mercs Own Peach Ale

Mention ‘Aussie Dancing Guy’ and everyone knows you’re referring to Paul Mercurio. Since tapping his way into our hearts in Strictly Ballroom, he has continued to dazzle us with his footwork in The Full Monty and now a judge on the hit TV show “Dancing with the Stars.’ But many would be surprised that this gifted choreographer is also a passionate brewer, now with his own range of beers called Merc’s Own, the first being a Peach Ale.

Paul began brewing 17 years ago after receiving a home brew kit as an anniversary gift from his wife and fellow dancer Andrea. “Back in ’87 Coopers beer was expensive and with poverty brought experience as I practiced the craft in my laundry room. I’ve always developed a bit of a beer club with the crew I’m working with, even back to the early days at the Green Room at the Sydney Opera House.”

So why brew a peach beer I hear you ask? “In the immortal words of Scott Hasling (Strictly Ballroom) I just want to dance to my own steps” I’m a risk taker, and I love a challenge. The idea for a peach ale came from an old home brew recipe that I tweaked a bit to pull the recipe into shape. The peach juice plus the German Tettnanger aromatic hop provide a pleasant spiciness on the palate. Besides, fruit-based ales are steeped in tradition and I couldn’t get my hands on any apricot juice at the time of brewing!” Seriously, it’s my beer; I do all the work including the cleaning up. I could have left it to someone else, but that’s not taking responsibility for my own work. I have personally handled every one of the 3780 bottles in the batch, and proud of it.”

So what inspired him to go down the path of a commercial beer range? “Stupidity (he laughed), since a young age I’ve tried to fulfil my dreams. I’m passionate about food (he cures his own brand of smoked beef brisket), flavour, and beer. I take my roles of artist, actor, dancer, father, and brewer very seriously. I’d also like to make some money out of this; idle actors need an income like everyone else so why not work hard at the things you enjoy.”

Merc’s Own Peach Ale is a refreshing drop, surprisingly subtle fruitiness without excessive sweetness. The ale has a champagne or white peach appearance with a white creamy head. Bottle conditioned and naturally carbonated with no additives or preservatives in the blend. The aroma is a delicate balance of malt and fruit characters without the expected overpowering tartness. The peach ale has a fruity, spicy flavour with mild back palate bitterness. The fruitiness is more dominant as the beer warms a little. Recommended serve at 4C.with a fresh fruit salad and cream or BBQ seafood.

No comments: